Harissa Roasted Veggies with Yogurt Sauce by Linsey Sowa, adapted from Harissa Chicken with Leeks, Potatoes, and Yogurt in Dinner: Changing the Game by Melissa Clark)
Note: This recipe calls for Harissa Paste, the concentrated form found in tube at specialty food shops. Harissa is available as a dry powder/ spice as well as in jar in the form of a sauce. Surely the spice version and jarred sauce could be used here- however you will want to adjust the amount of oil listed in the recipe to compensate.
- 1.5 pounds Cauliflower Florets
- 1.5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Harissa paste concentrate (* see note)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized leeks (trim off top tips and root) halved lengthwise, clean thoroughly, then slice into thin half moons
- Zest one large lemon (reserve the juice for the yogurt)
- 1/3 cup of plain full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic- grated or ground into a paste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves (no woody stems!)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine the potato and cauliflower in a large bowl, and season with 3 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and tablespoons olive oil. Toss the mixture to coat the vegetables completely, then spread them onto a rimmed baking sheet. (Be sure they are spread in one layer, and do your best to not to crowd the tray, use a second one if there is not adequate space!) Roast the potato and cauliflower for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes and cauliflower are roasting, combine the leeks, 1/2 teaspoon salt, lemon zest and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a medium bowl. Toss the leeks to coat them completely with the mixture.
- After the initial 20-minute roasting, toss the vegetables lightly and then add the leeks. Roast these for another 15- 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the veg are roasting prepare the yogurt in a small bowl, with the juice reserved from the zested lemon, garlic, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, drizzle them with the yogurt sauce, sprinkle them with the mixture of parsley and cilantro and serve.